From the Springfield Township Fire Marshal: In recognition of the use of ire pits, fire bowls, chimineas, and other similar outdoor wood-burning appliances, here are the guidelines for use in Springfield Township:
– May be used on residential property, with permission of the owner only.
– Fire Pit must be constantly attended by a responsible party.
– No permit is required.
– Use must be in accordance w/ manufacturer’s guidelines
– Use must be at a reasonable & safe distance away from any combustible structure. An area of 3 feet must be kept clear around the appliance of any material that can easily burn.
– Appliances may NOT be used on balconies or decks.
– Only dried, aged wood may be used. Burning of freshly cut wood, leaves, trash, construction material or any other non-approved material is expressly prohibited.
– Flammable liquid or combustible liquids may not be used as an accelerant.
– Some means of suppression (hose, fire extinguisher) must be kept nearby while in use.
– Ashes must be disposed of safely. Wait at least 24 hours to dispose of in a metal container outside.
– Fire Marshal, Fire Chief or Police Department has discretion at all times as to what is “safe use”. Anything deemed unsafe may order it extinguished.