Carbon Monoxide (CO) is a gas. It has no odor. CO gas is poisonous. It can make a person feel sick and can be deadly. In the home, heating and cooking devices that burn fuel can be sources of carbon monoxide.
- Co Alarms should be installed outside each sleeping area. Install alarms on every level of the home. It is best to use interconnected alarms. When one sounds, all CO alarms in the home sound.
- Follow the instructions on the package to properly install the CO alarm
- Test alarms at least once a month
- Replace CO alarm according to the instructions on the package
- Know the sounds the CO alarm makes. It will sound if CO is detected. It will make a different sound if the battery is low or if it is time to get a new alarm
- If the battery is low, replace it.
- If the CO alarm sounds, you must get fresh air. Move outdoors, by an open window or near an open door. Make sure everyone in the home gets to fresh air. Dial 911 from a fresh air location and remain outside until help arrives
PREVENTING CO POISIONING
- When warming a vehicle, move it out of the garage. Do not run a fueled engine indoors, even if the garage doors are open. Make sure the exhaust pipe of a running vehicle is not blocked. Clear snow away.
- During and after a snow storm, make sure vents for the dryer, furnace, stove, and fire place are clear of snow build-up
- Clear all debris from dryer, furnace, stove, and fire place are clear of snow build-up
- A generator should be used outdoors. Use in a well-ventilated location away from windows, doors, and vent openings
- Have heating equipment and chimneys inspected by a professional before cold weather starts to set in
- Open the damper when using a fire place for adequate ventilation
- Never use your oven or stove to heat your home